Sewing

Simplicity 1064 Pattern Review

Hello friends:

I don’t what the weather has been like for you this winter. It has been quite chilly here in North Carolina this month. I wanted and needed something warm to wear to work, so I rummaged through my stash and chose a sweater knit with a bold pattern for this project. Based on several reviews, I decided to pair my knit fabric with this pattern by Simplicity.

Simplicity 1064 Pattern Description:
Misses’ easy to sew tunics with length variations and tie belt. This versatile mock wrap tunic pairs well with leggings for an easy on trend look. Make it with a long sleeve, short sleeve or sleeveless with a front flounce.

Fabric Used:
Exact description: Bright Red/Cream/Black Scroll Print Poly/Lycra Hacchi Sweater Knit

Pattern Sizing:
Size: 6-8-10-12-14, 14-16-18-20-22

Based on the finished garment measurements I chose to cut a 14.

I generally trace my patterns on freezer paper. I use a warm iron (no steam) to temporarily adhere the pattern to the fabric.

I knew I would love this tunic just by laying out the skirt pieces!
D8451518-7123-4726-A0B4-DCC3AB5AD70A
The instructions were easy enough for an advanced beginner; however, the instructions for the facing weren’t very clear. There are also two darts involved.

When it was done, I think the garment looked better than the picture. I say this because my version wasn’t sheer like a beach cover up.

I didn’t like that the finished pattern was a size bigger than projected. I also didn’t care for how the elastic insert called for a safety pin. I have done this method for pajamas but the casing was wider at 1-1 1/2 inches. I managed to lose the safety pin on try #1 when it detatched from the elastic. Then on try #2 the safety pin popped open inside the narrow casing. I had to get a seam ripper to retrieve the pin. On try #3, I found a great tool called a ball point botkin, and used it to thread the elastic through the casing. This botkin made threading super fast.

Do you know after all of that threading, I found I didn’t like the elastic waist? Sigh 😔. The waist felt bulky despite having been trimmed. I took the casing apart and decided to make a sash belt. The picture below is before I made the sash belt. For my version of B, I also altered the sleeves to have flounces using the method featured here by Pamela Erny.

I plan on sewing this pattern again in a poly satin, but I’ll have to buy the pattern again in the smaller size group. This garment has a lot of ease built in. I used a knit based on reviews of so many others. Although I used a knit and the finished garment measurements to decide what size to cut, the final garment was too big. I will have to go down another size for a better fit.

My final thoughts: The finished garment is beautiful and comfy but a whole size too big. Thank goodness for sash belts and darts.